Friday, July 13, 2012

July afternoon in the park


Small watercolor in sketchbook 5.5 x 8"

I ventured out yesterday with bike and sketchbook in tow and made several sketches in the north end of Central Park on the East side. It was quite comfortable in the shade and there were many beautiful spots with park benches so one could relax.

I really want to get to some more industrial sites but the lure of the park called to me as the loud noise of traffic and hustle bustle made me want to escape to a more peaceful place. I am still rusty with watercolor and want to also look more abstractly and work using nature as an inspiration but then simplify and explore more from imagination rather than have a strictly traditional approach.

This was on roughly 108th Street and Fifth Avenue on the southern end of the lake.